THESE SETUP INSTRUCTIONS ARE OBSOLETE!
These instructions are provided for your reference and should still work if you want to use them, however.
To set up the CensorNet proxy server (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch)
These instructions assume you are connecting to the free Wi-Fi network “UBCFreeInternet.” If you are staff and faculty and need to use the “UBCOffice” network contact the IT Department.
- Tap on the iOS Configuration Profile link
- You’ll see a screen similar to the one below. On this screen, tap “Install,” then “Install Now,” and if requested enter your passcode or password.
- Tap “Done” in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- In Settings, turn your Wi-Fi off and then back on.
- When you connect to the “UBCFreeInternet” network and open an app that requires an Internet connection, you will be prompted for your username and password.
To set up the CensorNet proxy server (Android)
These instructions should work in recent versions of Android. Once you’ve performed these steps, you will have Internet access using your built-in browser app. Due to the lack of support system-wide for authenticated proxies, some apps will not work using our Wi-Fi network.
NOTE: Due to the wide divergence of Android-based versions of phone software, your exact options may vary from those listed below.
- Select your application launcher and open the “Settings” app
- Find your WiFi networks settings
- If you haven’t joined the “UBCFreeInternet” network, do so.
- Choose the “UBCFreeInternet” network
- Tap and hold on the “UBCFreeInternet” network until you get a pop up window
- On the pop up window tick or choose “modify network configuration” then tick “show advanced options”
- Under proxy settings select “manual”
- Enter “10.1.12.10” for the proxy server address, and “8080” for the proxy port.
- Once you open your browser on your phone or tablet, you will be prompted for your Internet username and password.